Sunday, December 2, 2012

Floating Ornament Christmas Trees: Tutorial

Remember in yesterdays post when I mentioned my ornament obsession? Well, then this project won't surprise you much. I am so excited to present to you...Floating Ornament Christmas Trees! This is a project I have been working on for a long time, so I am ecstatic that I can finally show off the final product.

(Note: This project doesn't take much time, it just took Adam and I a while to draw up the measurements we wanted and figure out how to get them to stand up nicely. They also sat unpainted in the garage for weeks before we managed to find time to finish them)


what you will need:
ornaments(various sizes), 1x4 pieces of wood, saw, wood glue, white spray paint, and glitter spray paint(optional), glue gun, felt

I was able to purchase most of the ornaments for this project from Dollar Tree. All the rest I pulled off the Christmas tree. Shhh, don't tell the hubs!

The first step is to cut all the wood and put the tree forms together using wood glue. The diagram below shows the measurements I used, and how I put it all together.

(NOTE: The program we designed these diagrams on was very exact, our measurements were not. We measured everything to the nearest quarter inch)



When the glue has dried, it is time for the paint, white first and then glitter if you choose to do so.

Next, adding the ornaments! Lay your trees down and arrange all your ornaments inside your tree before gluing. This way you can see how it will look and reposition them to your liking. When you have the ornaments in their places, you can begin gluing. I started at the corners and worked my way to the center, gluing the ornaments to the wood and to each other as I went.

I also added felt to the bottom to prevent them from scratching surfaces. 

Simple as that, you now have beautiful ornament trees to decorate your home for the holidays!




My ornament trees are being displayed on table right when you walk in the front door. I love that they are one of the first things people see when entering our home. 

Anyone else obsessed with ornaments for decorating this season?
What are some DIY Christmas decorations you have made this year?




1 comment:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE!! Must try this! THANKS so much for the instructions!!!!

    ReplyDelete